Monday, July 19, 2010

OUT OF SEQUENCE Rain, Lake Shore Drive, Deer Signs--Zion, Illinois July 19, 2010

This was found not published for some reason. It is from Zion, IL
I am sick of the rain. It has rained on us everyday we have been north of the Mason-Dixon line. The puppies are tired of the thunder and lightning which has been almost everyday too. The puppies lose their minds when it thunders. I know NC has been going through a drought, and I should be glad that it is raining somewhere, but I wish it would hold off until I get home even a little. I've enjoyed the cooler temperatures though. When we entered into Illinois, the temperature was 90 degrees F which brings an end to the cool temperatures for us. Dang.

Before I forget, while traveling in Canada we saw dozens of deer crossing signs and none had bullet holes. Oh come on now. Doesn't Canada have redneck idiots like we do in NC?. I was grown before I found out deer crossing signs aren't erected new with bullet holes. Maybe Canada changes the signs often to make US citizens think Canadians don't shoot those signs. I know better though.

We are camping in a state park in Zion, Illinois which is about 75 miles north of downtown Chicago. I am familiar with this park as having visited here a few times in the past, but this is the first time camping here. This is a nice park but the bathrooms are a half mile (at least) from our campsite. The distance made me go hmm. The Love Boat has "facilities" but the park's only campsite supplied utility is electricity which means we are forced to use the park's bathrooms. Let's just say that the fresh water tanks on the motorhome are not large enough to supply two showers per day for two days. The mosquitoes here are murder but they've been a problem for the last month. As much as I, as most people, dislike insect repellent, there is no way to not use it. I tried playing Celine Deon music in Canada to keep the mosquitoes away but that didn' t work. It did keep everything but mosquitoes and pimply faced teenage kids away, both of whom gathered in swarms. If I have a vote, I vote for the mosquitoes. This park is full of children, but I was lucky enough to get in the old curmudgeon section. The campground host manning the park lived in Fayetteville, NC for a while and hooked me up.

We went into downtown Chicago today. Naturally we drove along Lake Shore Drive and stopped in the park for a walk. The puppies had a bunch of fun. We stopped on the shoreline and watched what we found out later was a sailboat race. A lady from the sailboat race judging area came over and sat down with us and snuggled up to the puppies. Riley liked her a lot and snuggled up to her. Riley looked up at me and asked with his eyes, "Can I keep her Al?" But we didn't keep her and we drove down to Rush Street or at least we drove around and around Rush Street but never quite found it. The GPS was truly confused and kept sending us around and around in larger circles. I saw the same people pass by the car a few times. I decided Rush Street was not worth finding again. I have been there a few times and wanted to show it to Walter. Well Walter isn't going to see it this trip. To bad, so sad, GPS bad.

We leave for Indianapolis tomorrow morning very early. We plan to visit the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum. Maybe we can get to look at the track.

See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment