Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Ft.Sheridan, Puppies, Tollways--Zion, IL July 20, 2010

I lied to you. We decided to stay another night in Zion, IL. Somebody I know wanted to stop by today, so here we are. You may know that there are several roads in this area that span a great distance north to south. A couple of the more famous roads would be Green Bay and Sheridan Rds. Sheridan Road is just inside of the shore of Lake Michigan and runs through several towns to name a few are Waukegan, Lake Forest, Fort Sheridan etc. Lake Forest and Fort Sheridan are beautiful. Fort Sheridan used to be an army post and somebody bought it and turned it into an amazing town. Some of the old army buildings were converted into gorgeous condos and single family homes. There's lots of open space that is beautifully landscaped. If you are up this way a visit to Ft Sheridan would be worth your while.

We drove down Sheridan Rd quite a distance today and took the dogs for a walk in a park in Lake Forest. Lake Forest is a rich little town. The puppies got out of the car and immediately did what they do best which is making friends. I have mentioned the puppies' naturally ability to be the center of attraction a few times in the past. Lake Forest was no exception. Two little girls, about nine years old, ran up and made friends with the puppies immediately. One little girl wanted to walk Riley so I gave her his leash and away she went being drug by Riley. Riley knew he could get away with anything he wanted, and she would go along with it. Those two girls took turns walking him. Riley was in heaven. What really amazed me was how the kids ran up to us and started talking. I guess their parents haven't had time to tell them that the entire world is bad and means them harm like many parents do today. The kids' parents were nice to talk to as well. Maybe I will change my views about the people here. Naahh.

Tomorrow the drive through Chicago will be very early in the morning. If you know anything about Chicago , you would know there are really only two ways to drive through Chicago if you're heading east. Those two ways would be I-90 (Skyway) and 1-94/294 (Tri State Tollway). Both routes are parking lots in the morning and evening. Our current location is sort of on the edge of Chicago (I am lying a little) and it is 110 miles until we clear Chicago in Gary, Indiana. Yes, I said 110 miles. That would be the equivalent of starting in Raleigh and ending in Winston-Salem, NC. Many people don't really understand how Chicago sprawls. We plan to go through the center of Chicago at about 4am to avoid rushhour. If we don't got through so early, those 110 miles could take several more hours. How do people put up with trafffic like this on a regular basis? And it gets ugly cold here too.

I have seen enough BO for president bumperstickers to last me a lifetime. I guess the mosquitoes have been sucking out the brains of the locals for too many years, and this is what you get. I'll bet most of them now want to scrape the bumperstickers off but can't. But then again there are always the people that try to support the losing team regardless. You know, the kind of people that would flaunt leprosy and tell you it is fun. Yeah right. How's that change working out for you Bumpersticker People? Did I hear you say "...not so good"? I told you so.

I must admit that I didn't mind being in the Chicago area this time. I met some nice people. Don't get me wrong and think I want to be a Yankee, but I met a few people that I liked; then they got into their car and drove like a maniac and earned their ranking on my poopy list. I will not miss the highspeed driving idiots. I guess they drive really fast so people won't have time to see they have a non-removable BO for President bumpersticker and realize they made a horrible mistake.

Update: Today is Thursday. We drove to Milton, WV and are 350 miles from home. I'll update when I get home today. We stopped along the way and will talk about them when I get home.
Al

No comments:

Post a Comment