Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Curtains, Taffy, Refrigerator--Raleigh July 27, 2010

I went to see Mary today. She is the lady that has cropped my coiffure since the time my coiffure was brown and not gray. Mary is self-employed and has a really slick salon area that she rents in a building with other people of the same profession; they are all hair stylists and each has their own salon that is about 12' x 16' or thereabouts. Some of the other stylists there have decorated their spaces with all grades of stuff that I consider unique--like hard wood flooring. Mary's salon is decorated more mainstream with a touch of contemporary-except without the coffee drinking weirdos that usually hangout in modern/contemporary areas. At least her decorating tastes were mainstream until recently. I walked into her salon today, and I noticed she had hung curtains that reminded me of something that I associate with a den of iniquity. I didn't want to come right out and say whorehouse because some of the Baptists from church read this blog. But, I guess I just did. As a matter of fact I mentioned to Mary that I thought it looked like a French version of it. These curtains were all hangy downy, lacey, and nothing that I would normally associate with Mary's personality. Mary said she has taken a lot of ribbing over the curtains. She said one person asked if she was giving massages and another person said they thought it looked kind of like a funeral parlor. I have known a few women in my life that would have busted out crying over comments like those that I just mentioned but not Mary. She's the kind of lady that would laugh and then give you five good reasons upside your head not to call her whorehouse curtains funeral parlor curtains. I told her she should run around in French negligees or something. Now that I think of it, I've got to check my haircut. She might have cut a swath out of the hair on the back of my head where I couldn't see it to get even or used the clippers to shave the word "dork" somewhere. I wouldn't put it past her.

I had lunch out today and a little boy about 12-18 months was sitting patiently in a high chair checking out stuff (like kids will do) while his mother stood in line to order. He was a cute little guy. I walked up behind him and his mother, and he became fixated with me. I'm always enthralled with how kids will stop and stare. They haven't been told not to do so yet. After a minute or so I got him to smiling and making faces back at me. His mother looked at him, then looked around at me, and immediately knew I was communicating with her son, we were just not talking. She laughed and went back to ordering. The little guy was much too young to talk but we talked just the same. I've noticed that I have been been "talking" to kids a lot lately. I have always liked kids but had kind of forgotten how much fun they can be. Deb says that I want grandkids. I don't think so. I'm too young. If my son decides to have children before I am sixty years old, I will take him to Monty and Riley's vet and have the vet neuter him with a dull, rusty butter knife. And for my friends that have children, or are expecting children (God help me), no I won't babysit your monsters. Geez.

Our super duper, high tech, taxpayer subsidized refrigerator died this past weekend. It's display said that it was working fine and didn't cool. In case you can't remember, the thing is six weeks old and cost the equivalent of the gross national product of Albania. So, I called Samsung, after I tried to use their worthless website, and told them to send out an idiot to work on it, and they did. The idiot came out and looked at it and said it was working fine and left. Einstein said it was cooling, singing, and dancing like it should, and I experienced a problem from an electrical storm. I checked on it just now, 10 hours after Einstein left, and it was warm inside. Well La De Da. Let me sum up this refrigerator for you. First, it is bright, shiny, and promised to be the best thing since sliced bread. Second, the taxpayers helped me buy it. Third, it failed miserably a short time after I bought it. Fourth, when I complained about it not working, I was told I didn't have a problem. Now who does that sound like? Come on you can guess. That's right, the democratic party. I have a democrat residing in my house. The only difference with this refrigerator and a democrat is that the refrigerator actually was useful for a short period of time.

We went out to dinner about an hour ago. When we got home we discovered Monty and Riley had been really naughty. Let me start by saying that the dogs are not allowed on the furniture--ever. Deb had left a bag of salty water taffy inside a canvas bag on our bed, and the dogs got into it. The taffy was individually wrapped, inside two plastic bags with ribbon closing the bags. The bedspread was super wet in an area about 1' wide and 2' long, and Deb didn't know why it was wet. I surmised it was dog drool from chewing all of that taffy. I'm sure that was a funny sight seeing the dogs chewing all that taffy. The bedspread was covered in blotches where the candy had been smeared onto the bed. I'll betcha the puppies had a good time with the taffy Deb brought back for her friend. The bag was empty and the pups were full.

I think that I will continue with the blog for a while and not just during the times that we are on the road. I enjoy talking about the funny things that I see everyday. I'm amazed at the people that read this blog. I see so many things everyday that I find interesting and sometimes funny. So, I guess I will continue the blog for a while.
Al

1 comment:

  1. Sorry Beth! That taffy traveled over 3,000 miles for you to get a taste of Sault St. Marie & the dogs gobbled up the darn things - sounds kinda like the dog ate my homework but I'm serious! Oh well, gotcha some MacCintosh Tofffee from Wawa too so that that will just have to do instead.

    ReplyDelete