Thursday, July 22, 2010

"family bathroom", Indy Motor Speedway, Milton, WV July 21, 2010

We stopped at a KOA campground in Milton, WV for the night. I'll bet you have no idea where Milton, WV. Don't feel bad I don't either as I didn't pay much attention to the town. Milton, WV is a town between Lexington, KY and Charleston, WV on I-64. Milton is an okay town as far as town goes. We didn't get shot driving through it and kids didn't run out trying to sell us candy like the kids do in Mexico--at least not yet. The campground was expensive and full of kids. I will have to spray the dang motorhome for kids after this place. About 11pm, I went to use the park's "facilities" and found the only bathroom closed for cleaning. Oh I called them some ugly names. I was ashamed of myself for about two milliseconds. Then I walked back to The Love Boat and Walter said there was a "family bathroom" on the other end of the stupid park. So, I walked to the "family bathroom". The sign on the door had a male and female symbol and likely meant one of two things. My first thought that this was a bathroom was for girly men like Richard Simmons. My second thougth that either sex could go in which again meant Richard Simmons. So, I stood outside and comtemplated what the word "family" meant on the door of a girly man bathroom. I was confused and didn't want to have to spray myself with kid repellent before I went into the girly man bathroom. So, I stood there a few seconds and the mosquitoes removed two pints of my blood (and would have eventually sucked out my brains turning me into a democrat). In short order, I decided to risk whatever fate "family bathroom" meant. I went inside and looked around. A family bathroom must mean that the whole dang family can come in, because this bathroom was large enough for the entire Brady Bunch. Why the whole family would want to see each other on the john is alien to me but to each their own. This bathroom was the size of a bedroom with a shower, sink, and john. There was ample room in there so a kid could ride around on his bigwheel without disturbing his other family members watching each other on the john. After a little thought, I left and brought Monty and Riley back with me. You have your family, and I have mine. My "family" doesn't run around in the bathroom; they just sit and look at the person on the throne and say nothing. I prefer silence to bigwheels. The puppies thought the "family bathroom" was a good idea. Me too.

Walter and I stopped at The Indianapolis Motor Speedway today, and it was a blast. There is an amazing museum there with all kinds of race cars including Indy, Formula One, and NASCAR. I would highly recommend a trip to see this museum. We also took a tour of the race track. We got on a bus that went on the track and made one lap while showing us the sights around the track. The track tour was my favorite part of the day. The track is 2 1/2 miles long and has several holes of a golf course inside and just outside of the track. The golf course is quite old as the track dates to 1909. May I suggest you view the museum and track if you are in the area. What a great day for us but not for a guy driving a million dollar motorhome that was trying to enter the grounds. The main entrance to the facility goes under the track. The roadway dips down to allow vehicles up to 13' 8" tall. How do I know this fact, it is written on a huge sign at the entrance? Why does this concern me? The Love Boat has antennas that would not go through this "tunnel" entrance. However that didn't prevent a driver of a million dollar motorhome (somebody elses) from trying to make the turn into the track. We didn't pay him much mind until we heard the crunch of fiberglass and metal. The motorhome had struck a support piling and the concrete above the entrance. He backed the motorhome out a little and repositioned himself and made a clean entrance the second time. Could you imagine trying to explain to the owner of a brand new million dollar motorhome that you ran it into the entrance and messed up the side AND top? During the tour, there were many, many million dollar motorhomes on the inside portion of the track. I guess drivers and VIPs move their motorhomes into place days before the race. The Brickyard 400 is this coming weekend. I wonder how many of them ran into the entrance. The pilings on the entrance were pretty well abused from other vehicles striking them. Ouch.

Oh I almost forgot. We left Zion, IL at about 5:30am and drove through the center of Chicago without a single traffic related problem or slowdown. We cleared Chicago after two hours of driving. We were utterly amazed. In twenty-five years of traveling through Chicago, I have never been through unscathed from traffic until today. There is always a first for everything I guess.

Tomorrow we will drive into Raleigh via Charleston, WV. I am looking forward to being home.

1 comment: