Monday, November 28, 2011

Las Cruces, NM Coffee Dude Nov 27, 2011

Oh lovely. My day started off just peachy. We woke up at what our bodies thought was 8:30am but was actually 6:30am local time. I haven't had any decent coffee in a week, so we decided to go to Starbucks. Having not had a bath and looking like that grandmother from last night licked us and put us in the car, we decided to go through the drive through lane at Starbucks. I rolled down the window and spoke to Chatty Drive Through Cathy on the intercom. I would say a word and Chatty Drive Through Cathy would interrupt me. This process went on until Chatty Drive Through Cathy decided that I was mad enough and let me talk--finally. Chatty Drive Through Cathy had the local dialect that is so common in this area in which they sort of chant when they talk. A good way to describe it is for you to say Hiawatha and chant each syllable slowly with a beat--Hi A Wath A. Anyway, Chatty Drive Through Cathy finally shut up and let me order. I drove up to the drive through window and the window opened and Mr Drive Through Thing stuck his head out and chanted, "You had....." Well  I guess Mr Drive Through Thing was male as I couldn't actually tell.  I looked up at him and started to say, "Dang, I'll bet your mama is proud of you".  Mr Drive Through Thing had short cropped hair and looked like Drew Carey but had on glasses that normally is only worn by old Jewish women. There should be a law against something that freaky scaring the beJesus out of me first thing in the morning.  After I forced myself to be nice to Mr Drive Through Thing I got our coffee and drove off. Even though I ordered a large cappuccino, I swear the coffee was one swallowfull.  The rest of this huge cup was foam. I asked myself what kind of hippy crap is this? I started to go back and complain but that obviously meant I would have to talk to Mr Drive Through Thing and worse yet some hippy manager to which I would rather  contract diarrhea than do. So we left and went to another coffee shop, where I got a coffee from a  girl that spoke English with a nice metre.  Coffee in hand, we went back  to The Love Boat for breakfast. I opened the refrigerator and the stupid door fell off. I swear it fell into the floor. By now I was wondering if I had blasphemed the chakra god or something. The huge screw that acts as a hinge had vibrated out.  I picked up the stupid door and Deb helped me put it back on.  Some days start better than others.

Our campground has a huge doggie park that Los Perritos are enjoying. Los Perritos have a big fenced-in yard at home and obviously miss it. Monty runs around barking in the doggie park something that we think translates into "oh boy". He doesn't do that at home, but he is vacation so I guess it is alright.  Deb took them to the doggie park last night about 10:30pm, and I heard Monty from The Love Boat. Monty was determined to have fun regardless of the hour, and he wanted the whole park to know of his fun. Deb told him to hush and he did just that. I wish Deb could do that for those Occupy nitwits.  Los Perritos slept well last night being  tired from running around playing  Roadrunner and Coyote but where the Roadrunner gets caught by the  coyote and chomps on the Roadrunner's tail.  Anyway, Los Perritos are having fun--finally.

We went to White Sands Missile Base today. There is a museum there which was closed, but we got to walk around in their missile display and boy was that something. On display was a prototype of Fatboy which were  the A-bombs dropped on Japan. Deb and I were enthralled with the display. We were also told that five rattlesnakes were found in the display yesterday. So, Deb kept watch for snakes. I, however, was not concerned since I live in NC, and we have a democrat governor which is far worse than a rattlesnake. I heard there is a tour of the area where surface A-bomb testing was performed decades ago. We didn't have the time during this visit but likely will when we return in January.  Oh boy. We left the missile base and went to White Sands Monument.

White Sands Monument is actually part of the missile base but yet a national park. The park's sand looks like snow drifts which gives it the name. The white comes from gypsum and really reminded me of Myrtle Beach, SC. We got out and walked around this huge park and climb up on some dunes. The park is sixty miles from Las Cruces and in the middle of nowhere.

Tomorrow we will be back on the road to California. Even though we are within one day's drive, we will stay in Quartsite, AZ overnight so we can arrive in Palm Springs during the daylight hours. Quartsite is an armpit town on the AZ/CA border full of characters. So, tomorrow should be fun.
Al

No comments:

Post a Comment