Friday, November 25, 2011

Abilene, Texas Cedar Trees, Idjits, Signs in Spanish Nov 25, 2011

We are officially over halfway to California. We plan to slow down and spend an extra day in Las Cruces, NM so The Puppies (Los Perritos as they like being called now) can get pig heads and go trick or treating. If you don't know what that means, you should look up Las Cruces in the  blogs archive from two years ago


We pulled into an  RV park which is very similar to many RV parks that we have visited. This one is really near the interstate, and as I write this I can clearly hear the traffic from the interstate that is 75 feet from The Love Boat. I am not kidding we are about 75 feet from the interstate. When we pulled into the park, Deb went in to register and the lady assigned us a campsite a couple up from us on this row closest to the interstate. Deb told her that the noise would be a problem, so the woman said she would put us behind the cedar trees instead. It turns out all of the "pull through" sites are in the row next to the interstate. Anyway, RV Park Genius woman actually thought it would be less noisy if a couple twenty foot cedar trees separated us from the road. Well duhhh. Deb came back to the RV and told me what the woman said, and I wanted to go in and ask her when her shift with the Occupy Abilene nitwits was scheduled. Good lord where do these people hatch?

While driving here today, we stopped into a truck stop to take on fuel or get gas as you landlubbers say. When I turned in I immediately noticed that I couldn't get out without some serious maneuvering of The Love Boat. I should stop here and explain that The Love Boat is 33 feet long and has 16 feet of car and trailer hitch behind it. The Love Boat takes lots of space to maneuver, and this truck stop had very little space since this was where the cars get gas and there were 4011 million cars playing Chinese Fire Drills all over the place. To make matters far worse, the pumps were pumping very slowly forcing me to block an entrance. The dam broke or something and idjits (for my Canadian friends idjit is a cross between and idiot and a jit whatever a jit is) were  all over the place cutting between us and the car ahead (6 feet if that) and climbing over the bushes behind us trying to get around The Love Boat.  Normally I would have felt bad blocking an entrance to this place but I was trapped and couldn't back up. However, to my defense, there were two other entrances and exits directly  beside the blocked entrance that the idjits didn't want to use for some reason. I thought it was because I had the idjit entrance blocked and the idjits could only go and come by that entrance.  The situation was so stupid that I thought about getting out a copy of The Democrat Gazette from Arkansas and going  over and smacking the idjits on the nose with the rolled up newpaper--if you want to call that a newspaper. When I finally did make it to the pump (15 minutes elapsed) the pump took 20 minutes to fill the tanks. As miracles or luck would happen as we readied to leave, God parted the Great Sea  of Idjits to which I cast off anchors and maneuvered The Love Boat amongst the remaining idjits. We were out in 3 minutes or less. Oh what a fun time was had by all. I would rather slide down a sandpaper coated sliding board  into a vat of turpentine than try that again.

I noticed something else today. Signs along the interstate in Spanish I can read. Go figure. I was reading them and didn't realize I was reading them. Spanish classes are paying off. I have a long way to go but am happy for what I have learned.

We should be in Las Cruces, NM tomorrow if all goes well. Deb wants to spend a day there exploring and Los Perritos (The Puppies) want to trick or treat with their pig heads if Walmart has them. I need to find another pair of longhorn steer horns to mount on the front of The Love Boat, so it actually would be nice to stop for another day in Las Cruces. If you remember from our last trip out, Las Cruces has an RV park there with extremely expensive motorhomes. This was the place that we met the couple with the $2,000,000 motorhome. Las Cruces means crosses in Spanish so I wonder where the name came from? We shall see.

Adios amigos. Hasta luego.
Al

No comments:

Post a Comment