Monday, November 30, 2009

November 30. 2009 Holbrook, AZ

I said that we would not leave until Tuesday. I lied. We left this morning after the NOAA radio said that the forecast included snow for Tomorrow. We decided we wanted to be on the other side of the plateau which included the continental divide. The elevation for most of the day was from 6100 7200 ft. We have another 500 miles till Palm Springs, CA.

The drive through the m0untains was spectacular. The rock was charcoal black at times and rust colored at others. We took some pictures from the RV and will post them when I can.

Speaking of RV, when we stopped for fuel today at a truckstop, we saw a homemade "private RV". It was actually a Uhaul style truck with the boxbed removed. The guy had mounted a drop-in pickup camper behind the cab. There was about 6 ft or so of remaining chassis where he mounted some spare steel which may have been a wheelbarrow. The truck was pulling a flat bed trailer with a car on it. The car's front end was a few feet off the trailer on a ramp. I got to looking at the ramp and it was a 2"x10" board on its side. Why that board didn't break was beyond me. We see quite a few of similar "RVs" here. I took a couple pictures of the hillybilly's motorhome and will post them when we get to Palm Springs.

Usually, we stop every 2-3 hours to allow us and the puppies a chance to walk around. During one of the stops at a Navajo Indian store I noticed a small religious pamphlet at a frybread stand. This pamphlet had no writing in it and was totally illustrated. It had pictures of Adam and Eve (I guess) and further in had pictures of Indians doing certain things. Several pictures were of an Indian holding a liquor bottle. Several of the people in the pamphlet had a disease that left them with splotches all over them I gave this pamphlet some thought. I believe it was intended to bring God to heathen, drunken, and illiterate Indians who have the Ebola virus. Boy, I thought my life was tough at times.

I forgot to mention that in Santa Fe while I was being tortured at the Palace of Governors, I noticed this really cool display of very old crucifixes, you know the type with Jesus and the cross. The Spaniards loved that kind of stuff. There must have been 50 of these 3ft tall carvings with different depictions of what Jesus looked like. A commonality that stood out in abundance was that Jesus looked like a Conquistador on each crucifix. All these years I thought he looked like a white hippy. Boy was I shocked to find out he was Spanish. He had the triangular beard and mustache on each of them. I was so moved that I plan to do a tribute on the Love Boat's huge dash to the Madonna and Jesus (pronounced with a Hey and not a Je). Walmart surely has plastic dashboard depictions of our Saviour somewhere.

Tomorrow is Sedona, AZ.

No comments:

Post a Comment