Saturday, November 28, 2009

Nov 22 Popular Bluff, MO

We drove from Nashville to Popular Bluff, MO today. We are at Bullwinkles Rustic Resort and Campground. Yes it is rustic. The campground is fine. It is off the highway so road noise isn't a concern.

We went to Bullwinkle's Bar (next door) and got a beer. This place was really neat. It had a partial airplane on the roof which looked like it crashed into it. The inside of the bar was amazing. The insides was filled with unusual stuff like a boa conscriptor skin across the ceiling. It had a model train that ran around the bar which would go in and out the room via holes cut through the walls. There was too much stuff to mention. We enjoyed this place.

Our GPS routed us through rough roads. The motorhome was a wide as the road in some places. What really scared me was the roads near the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. Holy moly. The road bed was pitched to one side at a steep angle and was washboarded. I just knew that I was going to drive off into the swamp. Then we got to the Ohio River bridge and I was terrified. This was a narrow bridge that was high off the ground. I don't care for heights, and I really don't care for bridges that I can see through. I got over the first bridge then stopped to regain my composure. Then the second bridge, which crossed the Mississippi River, was about 1/2 mile from the first bridge. The second bridge was not as high but was extremely narrow. I had the motorhome wheels on the centerline and was worried that I would meet another wide vehicle and would trade mirrors with it. But I didn't.

The rest of the day was okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment