Sunday, November 29, 2009

Sunday, Nov 29, 2009 Santa Fe

Our schedule held until today. A low pressure system is hovering over New Mexico, and is going to bring snow here. We have to climb through several mountain ranges to get to Arizona. The weather in the mountains is supposed to be white out conditions. So, we are going to hold up here in Santa Fe until this storm passes. I think we might leave on Tuesday but not before then. I will update this posting later with the fun stuff we did today.

Update:
Deb wanted to go to some museums today. I really didn't want to spend all day in museums. I'm a science and technology museum kind of guy. But I knew that Santa Fe wouldn't have anything reasonably close to a science museum. So, Deb said why don't we go to The Plaza for lunch which is in the oldest part of town. The area is full of 400 year old buildings. So, we went to The Plaza and had lunch at a really neat place. Now here is when I should have faked a migraine or embolism or something. Deb asked if we could see the Palace of the Governors to which I said okay. That was my first big mistake for the day. It turned out to be a museum. She had tricked me. Parts of it were less numbing than others. In one part they had dug up beneath the floors and exposed what was once a native condominium. However, we went to the second part of the museum and it was excruciatingly mind numbing that went on and on and on. We finally made it to the end and left. Deb said she wanted a sweatshirt with Santa Fe written across the front. She really enjoys being a walking fashion billboard. So, she said, "...let's stop at the Jackalope store on the way home". Here is where I made mistake number two. We arrived at Jackalopes' and it looked rather benign from the outside. So, I went in thinking it might be fun. I should have suspected something amiss from the pavilion of necklaces and rocks outside. When I opened the door it hit me with two senses. First the smell of incense and and sounds of Peruvian pan flute music. That's right I was in a hippy store. What is worse is that it turns out to be a hippy mega-mart. They had the wittle string yack hats, pan flutes, serapes, candles, and an entire record store of hippy music. The clothes all came pre- stinky just for the aspiring hippies which arrive here in droves. Then Deb left me alone in this place. I had visions of her buying some of that crap and hippieing up our motorhome. But it didn't happen. Her upbringing was tested and she passed again. She comes from good stock. We left Weirdmart and went to Albertson's which is a grocery store. Would you believe that the grocery store had an incense section. Good lord you could smell that crap two aisles over. Deb wanted to buy some granola cereal, so we had to find the cereal aisle. Well that wasn't hard. Most of an entire aisle was granola. Surprise, surprise. The earth people of Santa Fe have spoken. Geez louise. I guess all of the sandal wearing, save the earth people shopped at this store. Good lord. I have all day tomorrow here too.

No comments:

Post a Comment