Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Alamo, Caverns, Weird Campground--San Antonio, TX Jan 17, 2012

Howdy yall from San Antonio, TX. We got here yesterday and will leave in the morning for some place between here and New Orleans. I know, why are we going to stop in New Orleans? The answer is because Melissa hasn't seen New Orleans. I could give a rat's butt less for the place, but it has some charm to folks that haven't seen it yet. In a couple days Melissa will say to herself, "Why did we stop in New Orleans".  Oh well, New Orleans here we come.

Walter, Melissa,  and myself went to the Natural Bridge Caverns today. It cost around $19 each to walk down into that big ole dumb hole. Big deal, Linville Caverns in Linville, NC is just as neat and half the cost. Walter and Melissa went to the Alamo yesterday and liked it. We went to The Riverwalk for dinner last night and had a good time. Geez, the blog is beginning to sound like a letter to my mother from summer camp.  

I should have started with where we spent the night after leaving Tombstone, AZ. We stopped in Junction, TX, and we  pulled in around 8pm to an RV park out in the middle of nowhere in the total darkness.  I think you could call the place Junction, TX even though it was 15 miles from Junction, TX, I prefer to call it WhereInTheWorldHaveWeStoppedForTheNight, TX. Geez, in that part of the southwest, the towns are almost non-existent for long stretches of territory. To get to the place we exited  the interstate in the middle of nowhere and drove down a road that was scary in the daylight and downright terrifying at night. We turned off the scary road onto a dirt road that branched several times, and I had to stop and contemplate which branch to take. Low and behold we got to the campsite which was a mile off the road. It was as dark as Robert Downy Jr's liver outside. There was a big sign that said stop at trailer #1 to register so we did. Deb was gone quite a while as I stayed in the Roadrunner (the new RV's name) with The Puppies. She was gone an inordinate amount of time, so I opened the window and found a heavy woman walking up to The Roadrunner. The woman was dressed in a housecoat and told me to, "Drive around the circle because we were too far back up, and I'll meet you there". So I said huh or something along those lines and she repeated herself about driving around the circle. Now remember it was really dark with no lights. I asked here where was the circle and where do I meet you ole esteemed woman of the housecoat cloth? She pointed at a road that branched 3 times simultaneously, so I picked the middle one and toured the campground.  The road wound around and came back to nearly where I was started so I suddenly realized why she called it a circle. When I got almost back to the trailer #1 slot I saw a road to the left and took it. Well low and behold there was our casual evening wear clad woman standing in the middle of the dirt road. She motioned for us to follow her or rather watch her waddle in front of us to the campsite. Now this is the funny part. What I should tell you is The Roadrunner has big headlights like a semi and this woman was waddling in front of our 40' long, 12'2" high, 8'6" wide motorhome, down this dirt road in the middle of God knows where. It took a minute or two and we got to the slot and parked. This had to be the scariest entrance into a park that we have ever encountered. I called Walter on the CB radio (Walter is/was driving The Love Boat behind us) and told him that if we heard banjo music I was leaving. But we didn't and it turned out to be a beautiful park in the day light. A bazillion deer lived there and ran free through the park. On the way out we saw a huge pecan orchard on the left of the road and an abandoned pecan orchard on the right side of the road. I guess you could say a pecan and pecan't orchard lined the road. We drove into Junction and got fuel at Bubba's truck stop and across the parking lot was a Texas BBQ place. Deb ran over there and bought some brisket for lunch, and it was astoundingly good.  Folks, that is what RVing is about.

I guess I should update you on The Roadrunner's condition.The new name, The Roadrunner, was picked for several reasons but the greatest reason was because it it very fast climbing mountains thanks to its huge diesel motor. We have fixed a bunch of stuff on The Roadrunner and lots of stuff will not get fixed until we reach Raleighwood. I guess you might say that we love the new motorhome.  That stupid Select Comfort (yeah right) mattress on our bed leaks the air out, but we have resigned to putting up with it until we reach home. The shower now actually puts out water after I was forced to work on it buck naked with soap all over me when the water suddenly quit mid shower. We have fixed tons of little and big things. The prior owner must have been a complete nincompoop as most repairs were easy for me and some things were intentionally disabled because the person may not have known how to operate it or was scared of it. Regardless, we are progressing and life is getting easier.

It was 78 degrees here today, and I was told it was in the 20s last week. Now that is screwy weather.

Yall have a good day, and I promise funny stuff tomorrow.
Al

No comments:

Post a Comment