Monday, June 28, 2010

Weather, AC, Tim Horton's -- Wawa, Ontario, Canada June 28,2010

We turned on the furnace this morning, because it was about 58 degrees last night. Today's high was 62 degrees and tonight's low is 42 degrees. This brings me to my first topic, Canadians and air conditioning.

We visited Deb's hometown a few years ago, and the daytime high was around 90 degrees. The Canadians that read this blog converted 90 degrees Fahrenheit into 32 degrees Celsius in their head while reading the last sentence. They are very good about converting US measures into metric measures. US citizens generally suck at it. Even though Canadians are excellent at converting units of measure, they have a ways to go on installing air conditioners into their homes. I come from the land of air conditioning, and we use it about eight months a year. We don't understand why everybody doesn't have air conditioning. Being married to a Canadian has helped me to understand-- well sorta kinda. Most of this region only gets hot for a short period of time which is something like a month. I figure the Canadians like the heat to help them defrost from the god awful cold temperatures that happen here. In Naicam, where we are headed, the temperature will drop to -40 degrees below zero and stay there for a very long time. So, I figure the people here go into deep freeze and thaw out in August. Now Southerners are slow broiled eight months of the year. We don't need to thaw out as we will spoil if left unrefrigerated over night. That is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Speaking of air conditioning, we had dinner tonight in a local restaurant. It was called The Viking. On the huge sign out front of the restaurant was large lettering advertising "Air Conditioned". I didn't see anything else on that sign except the part about air conditioning. It made no difference the temperature outside was 58 degrees, I saw the words "air conditioned". Deb saw "Lake Superior Trout and White Fish". I did not and to each their own. Now remember it was 58 degrees outside. About fifteen minutes after we sat down a couple came in the front door who were dressed like they came from Palm Springs or some hoity-toity place like that. The front part of the restaurant had large windows with tables next to the window. Needless to say, I sat my Southern butt away from those solar collecting, plate glass windows. It is instinctual for me. Anyway, the hoity-toity couple came in and the waitress told them to sit anywhere they wanted. Of course they waltzed over to table next to the solar collectors. Just before sitting down the woman looks up at the waitress and states that it might get hot in the sun and asks if the air conditioning was on. The waitress calmly told them that it was not needed as it was 58 degrees outside. The couple looked like moose in the headlights for a few moments then sat down. Of course, Deb and I had a good laugh at their expense. Now that I think about it, I understand their concern about the heat. However, I am smart enough to know it was 58 degrees outside. Geez. Duhhhh.

I honestly think the puppies are enjoying themselves now. They are the center of attraction everywhere we go which is nothing new. People always want to know their breed and "do they shed a lot". They are Keeshonds and yes they shed a lot. Believe me when I tell you they shed much more when The Love Boat is going BRRUUUUUPPP on the interstate, but they still shed a lot. I had some joker ask me a few days ago how much they cost and were worth. It took all diplomacy that I could muster to not tell him that the puppies surely cost more than that skank wife of his, but I didn't want to hurt his sister's feelings. Geez, what kind of a question is that? It takes all kinds.

Alrighty Yall, we are in Canada now. We went to Tim Horton's today. Southerners have no idea what a Tim Horton's is, so I'm going to tell you like it or not. Tim Horton's is like a Krispy Kreme of Canada. Canadians flock to Tim Horton's like Baptists to fried chicken. I don't get the attraction but what do I know. Maybe it is because Tim Horton's is air conditioned. That's it. They go there to be in air conditioning. I'll have to remember that even though The Love Boat's AC is superior might I add. Sorry, that is air conditioners, plural as in two. While traveling in The Love Boat, I have watched several Canadians stopping and envying The Love Boat's air conditioners, then they shrug and go to Tim Horton's. You might say Deb and I are air conditioning ambassadors.

Well, we leave Wawa tomorrow for a place called Marathon, Ontario which is near Ney's Provincial Park. We have seen all we wawant to see here in Wawa, weally we have. Weally. We are weady to move awong.

Bye for now.
Al

1 comment:

  1. Some things are just never as good as you remember. For me it was Tim Horten Coffee, MacIntosh Toffee and Old Dutch Salt & Vinegar Potatoe Chips. Alas, I have had my fix so time to move on...

    ReplyDelete