Saturday, June 26, 2010

Air filters, rednecks, and Bronner's--Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan. June 26, 2010

I believe the dark cloud that has shadowed us has blown out to sea or at least I hope. Several positive things happened today that makes me believe it to be the case. But that dark cloud had to get in one more downpour on me this morning--first thing-- before my karma changed. I'm not going to talk about what happened this morning now but might later as I don't want to concentrate on bad things. I am a firm believer that attitude is everything when it comes to life. A positive attitude attracts positive things, and if it doesn't then somebody is going to get their butt stomped.

I fixed the motorhome this morning. It seems that the air intake collects rainwater and funnels it into the engine where it collapses the air filter and starves the engine of air. Winnebago issued a recall on the air intake assembly but forgot to tell me about it. Bless their hearts. Bless their hearts is a polite Southern saying translating into somebody needs a butt stomping. The recall places a shield over the air intake to hinder the rainwater from entering. Well the recall repair isn't going to happen until we return home. So, I now have two spare air filters in The Love Boat's basement for the next rain shower. Good times Yall.

I've noticed that the locals are nice but rather redneckish. I've seen quite a few scary looking people but none of them were wearing NASCAR paraphernalia like rednecks do at home. I would call the lack of Earnhardtedness a good sign or at least I think so. I have seen my fair share of men with a waist length, braided pigtail similar to something you would expect to see in a kung fu movie. I guess if they let their pigtail grow longer than waist length, it might get caught in the chain of their motorcycle. What was really funny was a "lady" that we saw while having lunch at a sidewalk cafe. This heavy set "lady" got out of a battered pickup truck and was dressed in a short skirt, see through style top, and high heeled, wooden clog shoes. Yep, I said wooden clogs. When she walked on the sidewalk, she sort of waddled/stumbled down the sidewalk. I am not kidding you, she clunked herself down the sidewalk like a Clydesdale horse except a Clydesdale is graceful. I'm sure she has pulled a few beer wagons herself. I guess her shoes is a bold statement of form before function. Please let her image leave my brain. UNCLE, UNCLE (if you don't know what that means you should read yesterday's blog entry then read this one again).

Yesterday, we went to Bronner's Christmas Store in Frankenmuth, Michigan. Frankenmuth is a beautiful town. Bronner's is said to be the largest Christmas goods store in the world and an icon in the Christmas lighting crazies camp. I like Christmas, and I love Christmas lights. However, I just can't seem to buy a Christmas ornament shaped like a hairdryer that we saw in Bronners. Bronner's has every kind of Christmas ornament known to man and ornaments shaped like objects from many, many occupations. Thus the hair dryer for a hair stylist (Hi Mary), wrench for an auto mechanic, wooden shoes for a hooker, or a piece of dog poo for a lawyer. Bronner's was neat but every man has a horror story of some woman dragging him into a "Christmas store" to look around. A Christmas store is always filled with stuff to hang on a Christmas tree. You know, stuff like bobbles, sparkly things, and fake dead birds. Why would anybody want to put fake dead birds on a Christmas tree? Bronner's had several species of fake dead birds. We (Deb) bought a Christmas ornament shaped like a motorhome. Nothing says Christmas like motors, fiberglass, trailer parks, and fake dead birds. If that were the case then Merry Christmas from Sault Sainte Marie.

Oh, I was going to tell you about the tow truck driver from last night. This guy was twenty years old, had been to jail twice, and had lost his license for a year for drunk driving. He had a two year old child from a woman that he had lived with for three years. Well dern, he certainly has a good start on being a democrat much earlier than expected. I was impressed. He had never towed a motorhome before but was in constant contact by cellphone with his dad who had. He was concerned with driving on "the narrow streets" of Sault Sainte Marie. The roads in Sault Sainte Marie are as large as the roads in Raleigh. Big city traffic (tiny little Sault Sainte Marie) made him nervous too. But, but, but, he did get our motorhome safe and sound to our campsite. I knew that if I lived long enough, I would find a use for a democrat. He saved Deb and myself from certain harm last night. I am truly thankful for his help even though he concerned me as much as the bears in the woods near where we broke down.

In parting I have a wish for you. May your days be filled with dry air intakes, your tow truck driver be a republican, and your woman's shoes be pressure treated wood.
Al

No comments:

Post a Comment