Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Bears and Magpies--Marathon, ON June 29, 2010

We left Wawa this morning and meandered to Marathon, ON where we are camped for two nights. The drive was only about 150 miles, so we took our time. We are in the Neys Lunch and Campground. I was wondering earlier why it it not called the Neys Luncheonette and Campground. I now wonder what a lunchground is? I try not to dwell on the meaning too much because this type of thing makes my head hurt. Anyway, the campground is small and deserted. There are other RVs in here but unoccupied. The lady at the campground office ( lunchground office too) said something when we checked in that disturbed me. She said we couldn't put trash into the trash house ( I kid you not a building just for trash) after 8pm because that was the third and final trash run of the day to the dump. Deb asked why and she said that they didn't want bears to get into it. In case you are bad at math, 1 + 1 + 1 =3. One, we are in a deserted campground, two, there are bears nearby, and three, they make three runs per day to the dump. Hum. Maybe Yogi is going to pay us a visit tonight hunting for our picnic basket?

While staying at the campground in Wawa, the park had a fifty gallon, steel can partially buried at each campsite. We put our trash into it and the magic trash fairy made it disappear. The only problem was that the trash had gotten strewn around the can a couple times, once which occurred in the night and made the puppies jump on our bed. We thought a raccoon was the culprit but who was to blame greatly surprised me. This morning we were busy packing up The Love Boat when I heard the trash can lid go bang, but I thought it was Deb taking out the trash. When I walked around the bow of The Love Boat I saw trash strewn around and a couple gargantuan magpies picking at the trash. Gargantuan doesn't quite describe these muscular beasts, pterodactyls would be a better way to describe them. The river near the campground was called Magpie River and now I know why. The night before I had heard the magpies braying outside a few times and thought they sounded like Gilbert Godfrey but didn't give them much thought. The magpies that pulled that heavy steel lid off the trash can must have been Terminator model robotic magpies or something. I would have set the puppies loose on them but was afraid they would snatch the puppies and carry them off. The current campground doesn't have magpies only trash eating bears. Good times Yall.

When we were at Tim Horton's yesterday, Deb and I were sitting at a table watching The Crapper where the puppies sat in the backseat entertaining themselves watching people pass by. They would stick their heads out the window so people could pat them on the head. Well, that was until this "woman" drove up and parked next to them. The puppies took one look at her and decided she was not going to touch them. This "woman" was mean looking and about the size of a silverback gorilla. Deb and I saw her, and I told Deb to not make eye contact with her or one of us was going to get hurt, and it wasn't going to be me. There was no way I was going to fight Mama Godzilla. She looked like she was a lumberjack, bulldozer, or car crusher. We left shortly thereafter. I'll bet she wouldn't have any trouble snatching the feathers off those campground magpies. Come to think of it, maybe what the lunchground office lady was referring to getting into the trash was not bears but Mama Godzilla checking out what she thought to be the salad bar building. I'll fight a bear, but if its Mama Godzilla, Deb is on her own. The puppies are in total agreement with me.

Bye for now.
Al

No comments:

Post a Comment